Blättern nach links
State Courthouse
Halle (Saale) | 2013
"Palace of Justice" from the turn of the 20th Century (Wilhelmine Era)
Built between 1901 and 1905, the courthouse was intended as a grandiose landmark, executed as a four-story stuccoed building with limestone dressing, a gabled central projection, and two corner towers. The main staircase is in the form of a steep, arched cupola hall. Both inside and out, the ornamentation includes many touches in the late Gothic and early Renaissance styles. The building constitutes one of the most elaborate and architecturally significant courthouses of the Wilhelmine Era. The building is listed as a historic monument in the registry of the state of Saxony-Anhalt as well as being part of a registered protected area. Parts of the building and of the façade were rehabilitated in conformance with the prescriptions of the historic landmark protection authorities and are to be taken into account in the current rehabilitation. The landmark policy calls for preserving the appearance of the building as it was at the time of construction for all exterior portions and selected parts of the interior. The emphasis is on the façades, the windows, the doors, and selected publicly accessible areas, such as the entrance hall and main staircase, the staircases, the hallways, and a few deliberation rooms. The building complex was erected to serve as a civil court and is in use as the state courthouse to this day. It is therefore still completely operational. The plan is to relocate operations to external premises when construction begins. Apart from a few exceptions (technical connection for IT services), this contract does not include the services necessary for the preparation of the external premises.

Client: Landesbetrieb Bau Sachsen-Anhalt

- The International Architecture Award 2017 | Award
Blättern nach rechts